Kiting Lake Superior Late September

Where are people riding, gear questions, share your ride, etc.

Kiting Lake Superior Late September

Postby ngoebel » August 9th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Hi,

I am visiting Bayfield, WI (via Duluth) from Santa Cruz, CA. A quick search revealed that Lake Superior gets wind and can have bigger waves than the Pacific!

I was hoping to get some pointers as to:
1. where to kite (and where NOT to kite) around Lake Superior (the closer to Bayfield the better)
2. the strength of wind you 'tend' to get late Sept - what size kites do you tend to ride?
3. the water temperature range in Sept (is a 6mm wetsuit warm enough?)
4. any reliable weather sites that I can use to scope out the wind predictions before lugging all my gear on the plane? (our local kite spot Waddell has NO good predictions, only real-time, which is why I ask)

I would be SO stoked to kite Lake Superior if conditions allow. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

And if you find yourself out on the West coast, be sure to give a holler and I can point you to some great kite spots as well!
Thanks!
Nicole
ngoebel

Re: Kiting Lake Superior Late September

Postby JRN » August 12th, 2013, 6:36 am

NICOLE, I can't tell you much about the Bayfield area, but alot of us watch the weather forecast for a northeast wind direction and go to park point in Duluth. Turn left at the old fire hall by the radio antenna, walk over the dunes, and there you are. Hope you get some rides!
JRN

Postby ngoebel » August 12th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Thanks! Do you use a particular web site/forecast?
ngoebel

Postby JRN » August 12th, 2013, 7:10 pm

JUST CLICK ON THE WEATHER OPTION TOOLBAR FOR THIS SITE. I usually look at the NWS/noaa forecast & then compare it to IKITE's for Duluth. You can also check current conditions as well. If you like less extreme waves, look for 10 -15 mph conditions. Higher than that, and the wave frequency increases for some very intense riding. Hope you get your wish to ride Mother Superior.
JRN

Postby ngoebel » August 15th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Thanks for that.

10-15 is not very windy?!

Saw some almost double overhead waves in a video of two guys kiting LS. I could not believe how much bigger the waves were than in the Pacific! Is that typical?
ngoebel

Postby JRN » August 16th, 2013, 5:15 am

THE WIND MAY BE FAVORABLE ON LAKE MILLE LACS THIS W.E. I've been out in overhead waves, but I would think more like 9 footers rather than 12. As for kite size, I prefer lighter conditions overall, but maybe above 12 mph would be more ideal. Come join us on Milly and meet the Locals. Some of the Duluth crew may show, & can give you better insights on Superior riding.
JRN

Postby ngoebel » August 19th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Thanks for that! Would love to meet the locals and kite in a new place!
Best, Nicole
ngoebel

Return to General Discussion